Here’s a few good tips to reduce your power usage. Solar power works fine, but often one has to adjust to the whims of nature, and on the cloudy days use less power.
Here are just a few of the changes that we made to our off-grid lives that helped us use less watts:
- We never took a shower before the sun was up.
- Also, we never took a shower when the sun was down.
- Made sure we only did laundry between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., and only one load per day.
- We went to bed early and got up early (this proved to be most productive).
- Always used battery-operated lanterns and book lights for evening reading.
- Made sure we unplugged everything — the coffee pot, the toaster, etc. – when not in use.
- We rarely used the microwave.
- Never left the TV on, and we used it sparingly.