Category Archives: History

Arizona History – May 19

Tuesday, May 19

On this date in 1890, The Arizona Republican published its first issue and would become the Arizona Republic 40 years later.

On this date on 1892, a stage coach line was established between Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon.

On this date in 1916, private citizens of Arizona let the contract for a solid silver service to be presented to the battleship Arizona. The price was approximately $8,000.

Source: Arizona history May 17-23 – Washington Times

Sat, May 19, 1917 – Page 1 · Arizona Daily Star (Tucson, Arizona) · Newspapers.com

Arizona History – May 18

1910: John Gardner, Pima County census enumerator, reports that as he entered a Yaquai village in northern Pima County all the Indians quickly vanished. His total count for the village was one female.

1929: Federal Engineer H.J. Gault arrives in Yuma to begin the final survey of the All-American Canal.

2004: Randy Johnson of the Arizona Diamondbacks pitches a perfect game, beating the Braves 2-0, in Atlanta. It was the 17th perfect game in Major League Baseball history, and Johnson — at age 40 — was the oldest pitcher to pitch a perfect game.

Source: May 18: Today in Arizona history | Local news | tucson.com

The Aztec Cattle Company & the Hashknife Outfit – Legends of America

In 1884, the Aztec Land and Cattle Company of Boston began operations in Arizona with its headquarters situated across the Little Colorado River from the site of Saint Joseph (now Joseph City.)

The third-largest cattle company in North America, the organization was better known as the Hashknife Outfit because their brand resembled the old hash knives used by chuckwagon cooks. The next year, the Aztec Company transferred its headquarters to Holbrook, Arizona and in 1886, they purchased one million acres of former railroad land from the Atlantic and Pacific for 50 cents an acre. The ranch claimed a range that stretched some  650 miles, from the New Mexico border to just south of Flagstaff.

The company then bought the Hashknife brand and some 33,000 head of cattle and 2,000 horses from the Continental Cattle Company in Texas, which was going broke because of drought. When the stock arrived by rail, they were let off the train at stops all across northern Arizona. Along with the cattle and the brand, also came a number of original Hashknife cowboys.

Source: The Aztec Cattle Company & the Hashknife Outfit – Legends of America

Click on the link to read more.

Arizona History – May 12

Tuesday, May 12

On this date in 1886, fire destroyed the Grand Central pumphouse in Tombstone, causing the mines to flood and shutting down all mining operations.

On this date in 1887, the Tombstone Epitaph reported that a volcano had erupted in the Dragoon Mountains following an earthquake. On this date in 1897, Ed Schiefflin, discoverer of the Tombstone silver mines, died.

On this date in 1913, Herbert Brown, who had come to Arizona in 1873, engaged in lumbering in the Santa Rita Mountains and in the mercantile business in Tucson, died. Brown was the owner of the Tucson Citizen and the Tucson Post newspapers and in 1902 was appointed warden of the Yuma Prison, and operated the Gondolfo Hotel there.

On this date in 1924, Evan Mecham, the first governor in Arizona to be impeached, was born in Duchesne, Utah.

Source: Arizona History May 10-16 | Arizona News | US News

Arizona History – May 11

Monday, May 11

On this date in 1889, a band of masked men ambushed Maj. J.W. Wham and his military escort carrying a $26,000 army payroll to Fort Thomas. The payroll was stolen and eight soldiers were wounded.

On this date in 1910, the Maricopa-Phoenix train was held up about 8 miles (13 kilometers) from Maricopa. Two bandits relieved all the passengers of their valuables and one passenger was struck over the head with a revolver.

On this date in 1910, work began on the north-south territorial highway out of Prescott.

On this date in 1934, Tucson’s first city hall building, which was built in 1881, was destroyed by fire.

Source: Arizona History May 10-16 | Arizona News | US News

Arizona History – May 10

Events in Arizona history in the week of May 10-16 included a fire that destroyed Tucson’s first city hall building in 1881 and the authorization of the Salt River Project by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation in 1903.

SUNDAY, MAY 10

On this date in 1863, the Pioneer Mining District on Lynx Creek was formed after five members of the party led by Cap. Joseph Walker discovered gold along Lynx Creek.

On this date in 1872, the Tully-Ochoa wagon train was attacked in Canyon del Oro by 300 Indians. Five men were killed and many more wounded, mules were stolen and the wagons burned.

On this date in 1913, the town of Miami was barely saved from total disaster when a fire — started in the Arizona Eastern freight depot — destroyed the station, a warehouse and several freight cars, and damaged hotels and residences in the area.

On this date in 1928, the University of Arizona Dean of Women decided that women must wear stockings, and could not appear on campus in abbreviated costumes.

Source: Arizona History May 10-16 | Arizona News | US News