Arizona History – November 22nd

Sunday, November 22nd

On this date in 1888, the Florence stage was held up and the two robbers got the Wells-Fargo strong box and $26 in cash.

On this date in 1888, the Sacaton Indian School at Florence was destroyed by fire.

On this date in 1902, the Consolidated Mines Co. reopened the Tombstone silver mines.

On this date in 1913, the San Carlos Hotel at Chandler reopened.

On this date in 1929, four new horses were brought by the University of Arizona Military Department. The horses were intended to be used for polo playing along with their regular department duties.

On this date in 1929, ground was broken for the construction of the Nogales Armory.

On this date in 1929, the vast amount of paperwork necessary to clear title to the town site of Payson got under way. The town had grown for nearly 50 years in a casual “squatter’s rights” kind of way.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *