Events in Arizona history in the week of May 10-16 included a fire that destroyed Tucson’s first city hall building in 1881 and the authorization of the Salt River Project by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation in 1903.
SUNDAY, MAY 10
On this date in 1863, the Pioneer Mining District on Lynx Creek was formed after five members of the party led by Cap. Joseph Walker discovered gold along Lynx Creek.
On this date in 1872, the Tully-Ochoa wagon train was attacked in Canyon del Oro by 300 Indians. Five men were killed and many more wounded, mules were stolen and the wagons burned.
On this date in 1913, the town of Miami was barely saved from total disaster when a fire — started in the Arizona Eastern freight depot — destroyed the station, a warehouse and several freight cars, and damaged hotels and residences in the area.
On this date in 1928, the University of Arizona Dean of Women decided that women must wear stockings, and could not appear on campus in abbreviated costumes.