Sunday, March 14th
On this date in 1849, Bill Williams, mountain man, fur trapper and guide, died. The town of Williams, Bill Williams Fork and Bill Williams Mountain are named after him.
On this date in 1911, the polished, native granite cornerstone was placed for the Phoenix Women’s Club Building on First Avenue and Bennett Lane by Mrs. Dwight B. Heard.
On this date in 1913, a mountain lion measuring 8 feet (2.4 meters) long was found in a fox trap in Sabino Canyon near Tucson.
On this date in 2013, a federal appeals court throws out the convictions of Arizona death row inmate Debra Jean MIlke, who was found guilty of murder in the 1989 killing of her 4-year-old son. The boy was shot in the back of the head.
(Photo : Bill Williams – True West Magazine)