Sunday, January 17th
On this date in 1805, Spanish troops, commanded by Lt. Antonio Narbona, invaded Canyon de Chelly, killing 93 Navajo warriors and 45 women and children. The bones of the slain were left in the cave where they were killed. The area became known as the Canyon de Muerto.
On this date in 1877, Gov. Anson P.K. Safford signed the bill moving the Territorial capitol from Tucson to Prescott.
On this date in 1912, the last remaining parts of the old scaffold used in the Cochise County Courthouse yard at Tombstone were cut up for kindling wood. The scaffold had been built in 1884 by C.J. Ulmer for the hanging of the Bisbee murderers.
(Photo : Canyon de Muerto)