Saturday, April 24th
On this date in 1880, St. Mary’s Hospital in Tucson opened, staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph.
On this date in 1909, the town of Wickenburg was incorporated by a vote of 36 to 5.
On this date in 1919, agreement was reached clearing the way for the construction of the Florence diversion dam on the Gila River. The dam was expected to irrigate 62,000 acres of land in the Casa Grande Valley.
On this date in 1925, the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce circulated a straw ballot on the proposition that the name of the Salt River Valley be changed to Roosevelt Valley, but the proposal met with strong opposition.
(Photo : vintage Casa Grande Valley farm)